Some coupon sites like to develop a community of users who submit their latest finds and participate in building the overall resource, while others wish to provide a straightforward pipeline to savings, like BluePromoCode.com. Boasting access to more than 800,000 coupons from over 25,000 stores, the site dubs itself the “web’s most reliable coupon search engine.” With a minimalist layout and clean arrangement of information, the site aims to deliver a quick, uncomplicated bargain-hunting, money-saving shopping experience.
What is BluePromoCode?
Based out of Santa Monica, California, BluePromoCode is an online resource affiliated with the technology firm ZipfWorks. Providing access to a host of coupons, exclusive promo codes, discounts (including employee and friends/family savings), the site also offers insider deals that help shoppers save the most money both with and outside of BluePromoCode. By keeping an eye on thousands of retailers, members of the site get a heads up on the best deals and coupons offered on a daily basis.
There’s a bit of mystery when it comes to the inner-workings of BluePromoCode, a site that has recently undergone an upgrade of services with new features that include personalization options and an iPhone app. Released in September of 2014, the mobile app covers an expansive lineup of retailers (over 30,000), which aims to provide a personalized on-the-go shopping experience that allows users to browse a daily feed of coupons; claim coupon codes; locate sales; and download in-store coupons.
While the website itself lacks an About Us page, FAQ section, or easy means of contact; what is clear is that BluePromoCode’s coupon search engine is well-designed, easy to use, and reliable.
What to Expect with BluePromoCode…
As a user of BluePromoCode, you should expect to find a hodge-podge of featured retailers, discounts, coupon codes, and a search bar that leads to more than 800,000 coupons that include the likes of Ralph Lauren, Babies R’ Us, Costco, the Disney Store, and Pier 1 Imports.
Further down the homepage, there is a quick-click search bar (shown above) that directs visitors to time-sensitive deals (Expiring Soon), the Latest coupons, or Today’s Picks.
All of the above categories can be filtered by the following options: promo codes, storewide and product sales, printables, exclusive savings (such as coupon codes exclusive to members of BluePromoCode), free shipping offers, and freebies. According to the filters you’ve selected, all of the coupons and offers that match will appear below the clickable search bar (as seen below).
How Can I Start?
It is not a requirement to sign up for BluePromoCode to browse coupon codes and view online offers featured on the site, but in order to take advantage of site perks, you need to become a registered member. There are two ways to sign up– by connecting your Facebook account; or by submitting your full name, email address, and creating a password, which provides instant access.
After the initial sign-up, BluePromoCode will prompt you to follow five stores, which helps the site establish your Personal Feed. There is an option to skip this step.
As a registered member, you can follow stores and save coupon codes for later use. There are also options under Settings that allow you to set up email notifications to get daily or weekly alerts when new coupons from the stores you follow become available.
How Do I Use BluePromoCode?
The navigation bar located at the top of the BluePromoCode homepage is separated into two sections. The upper portion is dedicated to providing quick access to popular coupons and stores, as well as personalized features, like items that a member has saved for later, or their personal feed. Underneath, a blue bar allows users to search by category.
Clicking on one of the broader categories (Fashion; Home & Electronics; Health & Babies; Business & Office; or Travel & Sports) reveals an in-depth listing of more targeted categories. For example, when expanding the Home & Electronics category (as shown below), search capabilities are fine-tuned when a user selects a sub-category, such as Music; Home Appliances; Gardening; Bedding; Computers & Laptops; or Furniture.
When you come across a coupon in your personal feed or in another area of the site…but you’re not ready to immediately use it…‘clip’ it by clicking on the small heart icon located in the top-left corner of the coupon. To access a ‘saved coupon’ later on, simply click on ‘My Saves’ to retrieve it.
Other highlights of BluePromoCode’s navigation bar include:
Personal Feed: Members have access to a ‘personal feed’ where they can view exclusive coupons from their favorite stores. To the left, a list of ‘My Stores’ identify the retailers that a member follows; to the right are associated deals, coupon codes, and sales.
Top Stores: Links to the most popular stores on the site, such as TJ Maxx, Nordstrom, Kohl’s and American Eagle Outfitters, are shown here. Arranged by showing the retailers with the largest number of member followers first, there is a button labeled ‘Follow‘ to make monitoring a store’s coupons and deals much easier. The number of coupons currently available for the store is also noted.
On the left-side of the ‘Top Stores’ page, a search bar or list of relevant categories allow users to locate their favorite stores to follow on BluePromoCode.
My Saves: Whenever a member wishes to use a coupon for later, it is stored under the ‘My Saves’ tab, which has a distinct ‘heart’ icon beside it. Before your saved coupons expire, BluePromoCode will send out an email so that you don’t miss out on the deal.
Popular Coupons: This tab highlights coupons that have the most number of ‘saves’ in the past couple of days; and provides a place to find out what other members consider a ‘hot deal.’
Step-by-Step Instructions on How to Use an Online Coupon Code
1. Browse coupon codes on BluePromoCode by way of keyword search, store search, or viewing your personal feed (if you are a member).
2. Once you’ve located a coupon code of interest, click ‘Show Coupon Code’. A pop-up will appear with an assortment of information, but you will want to pay attention to the coupon code.
3. Click the blue ‘Copy Code’ button, which will then change to ‘Copied.’ Visit the website by clicking ‘Go to …” (Michael’s in this instance). A new window to Michaels.com will open.
4. Shop as you normally would, and when you are ready to check out, paste the copied code into the promo code at checkout. Pay and enjoy your savings.
5. After a transaction, you are encouraged to return to the coupon code pop-up to give it a ‘thumbs up’ if it worked or a ‘thumbs down’ if it did not work. You are also given an opportunity to follow the store, if you don’t already. Links are also made available so that you can spread the word about your savings on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and by email.
Does BluePromoCode Offer Cash Back Opportunities?
BluePromoCode does not offer any cash back opportunities, and is a resource that primarily concentrates on showcasing deals, and allowing users to keep track of retail coupon codes, promos, sales, and other money-saving options.
Special Features of BluePromoCode
Some of the benefits and special features associated with BluePromoCode include:
* Inside Tips: Something that sets BluePromoCode apart from other couponing and promo code sites is the addition of ‘insider tips,‘ which help users save more money at their favorite stores. Located on individual store pages, as shown in the Kohl’s example, you learn how to save money outside of the BluePromoCode site. Useful information often reported includes clickable links to a store’s social page which may offer exclusive deals; free shipping policies; online clearance pages; and other ways to save, such as signing up for a store’s newsletter to receive sale alerts and exclusive offers.
BluePromoCode also highlights coupon facts regarding their site, which lets users know just how active a particular store is on the site. Stats include how many coupons a store offers per month; the average duration of a store’s deal; and the average percentage of savings that shoppers enjoy using the store coupons found on BluePromoCode.
Another convenience is that sitewide averages for all of the above-mentioned statistics are also made availability.
* 2Cents Blog: The majority of posts featured on BluePromoCode blog highlight “deals of the week”according to a specific theme, such as ‘top outdoor equipment deals’ or ‘top shoe deals’.
* Deal Guides: One of the newest features of BluePromoCode are the Deal Guides, which provide a one-stop shop for consumers looking to save during the holidays or make a specific type of purchase, such as a Baby Shower gift. As seen above, clicking on the Baby Shower Deal Guide link takes a user to a page that centers on shopping for those expecting a baby. To the left, related stores, such as The Disney Store, Babies R Us, The Land of Nod, and Gymboree are featured with the corresponding number of available coupons and followers. The bulk of the page is dedicated to Featured Deals that include 20% off everything at the Children’s Place; and new customers taking $10 off their first purchase at The Honest Company.
* iPhone Mobile App: Available at the Apple App Store, there is a free mobile app for BluePromo Code that delivers instant access to online coupons, promo codes, and in-store offers. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch devices, the app also allows users to (1) save coupons and use them while in the store; (2) receive notifications when saved deals are about to expire; and (3) share coupons with family and friends.
* Widgets: BluePromoCode allows users to add coupon search functionality to their blog or website by implementing a Top Deal Widget or Search Widget. The easily-embeddable widgets let visitors find or learn about the hottest deals when visiting your site. The widgets refresh the latest deals on a daily basis. You also have the ability to customize the widget’s color, categories, dimensions, and other details.
Any Complaints Regarding BluePromoCode?
Online reviews of BluePromoCode are quite scarce, but the following points could very well cause concern regarding the site:
* Lack of Easy-to-Find ‘Contact Us’ Information: If you have a question, suggestion or complaint regarding BluePromoCode, there is no easy-to-find ‘contact us’ page on the main website that provides an email address or other means to get in touch with moderators or the “higher ups.” After a bit of digging, a contact email is found on their Facebook page, which is not very helpful for those without a Facebook account.
* Lack of FAQ: As with many coupon and deals sites, a FAQ (frequently asked questions) section provides a helpful source of information for beginners and seasoned users alike. However, BluePromoCode does not offer such a convenience. The most information found regarding the use and features of the site comes in the form of a post from their blog that provides an overview of the new BluePromoCode.
* Lack of Community: Unlike other coupon websites, BluePromoCode does not offer a community atmosphere where users can submit their own bargain finds, rate others, and socialize with others through a forum or discussion board. However, with the absence of a FAQ or the presence of a representative or moderator, website loyalty could become an issue in the future.
* Deal Errors: There is probably no coupon site where every single posting is 100% correct; however, retailers have voiced their concerns over incorrect information being posted on the site – from expired offers that linger… to the posting of wrong logos for companies offering sales.
In a Nutshell…
BluePromoCode takes a no-frills approach towards providing a search engine for coupon hunters that relies on its minimalist layout and concise setup to attract and keep users interested. It isn’t such a complicated task to get a handle on how to navigate the site, especially for someone familiar with coupon and deal sites.
However, if any questions or concerns arise, only the diligent will be able to locate contact information. On the plus side, the lack of a community aspect on the site means that users get what they come for – coupons, deals, and promo codes without the somewhat time-consuming distractions that a community atmosphere can create. With that being said, the site proves to provide a fast, reliable search engine for coupon-, promo-, and deal seekers.